Saturday, January 6, 2007

First Skates

I started thinking about the time back when that $1.9 million hockey stick was carved. Sheeeet ,that was a long time ago! Didn't have the Internet back then. Hell, didn't even have tubuler blades or kangaroo skin Tacks back then. Its my understanding, from my grandpa's grandpa or some such other old fart that tried to learn me some cultural goods, that hockey was originated by our North American native Indians. No, not those ones that you get when you're on the phone trying to resolve your computer problems but full blooded Native Americans! I haven't read any other news about that old stick but as far as we up here in the North Woods know - it could have been carved by an Indian.

Again, back to that cultural learning, seems as though that when the Indians originated the game that they didn't have skates. I guess they just ran around slip sliding on the ice. You know - kind a like those idjits that rent the rink after hours and play broom ball. Hell yes they've got spirit and hockey's originators had spirit too. Thank God for that or we wouldn't have the game we have today. But I don't think they invented the shoot-out. Nah, couldn't have. Its just not a team thing. Minor league idea or something.

So when they started using "skates" the type that they used were attached to their walking shoes or boots with straps. The straps were probably made of leather, but get this - the blades were made from wood. Yeah wood. I'm telling ya Walking with Wood is the bomb! Skating with wood can't be too bad either. Wood baby! Snow shoes are made of wood and sinew or leather. Probably invented by the Indians too. And look at all the shit that I'm sure evolved from snow shoes; like tennis rackets, squash rackets (what the f' is that) and Nike's. Hmmm, ya gotta think about that don't ya?

My first skates could have been the strap on version. I remember seeing those skates but my memory gets a little foggy about whether I ever actually used them or not. I do remember that my younger sister wore these skates but not me. Who knows maybe I did? These pups certainly weren't wooden. Dang shame. They were cheap chromed steel and each one looked like a little sled that you strapped onto each shoe. Front blades, back blades and side by side to boot. I don't think you really skated with these things but it was a start. Walk, scoot... walk, scoot ... get the idea?

Ahhhh .. the first skates that I do remember wearing were ... OK this is shit, I mean embarrassing ... they were white, well scuffed up white ... they had toe picks (God forbid) ... and they had two blades each. Skates yes. Hockey no! They did get me started on a life long pleasure from being on the ice. Bitchin! Though I never did partake of figure skating (minor miracles, yup) and it would be many years before I got to even skate again, as we know my first skates that weren't hand-me-downs would be hockey skates. Yes!

Enough for now, but remember that Walking With Wood feels so good!

No comments: