Tuesday, January 1, 2008

JUST A LITTLE BIT OF PICK-UP

Oh, my gosh! I’m in puck heaven this morning!

For those of you that might be reading this at a later date let me fill you in from my antiquated time machine. Jasper Wheats here, lopsided little puckster from the backwoods of some place in the great white north, and its January 1st of the year 2008.

Happy New Year!

NBC and the NHL have just made my day. They pulled it off and my complements to the great folks of Buffalo, NY. A televised game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Buffalo Sabres at Ralph Wilson Stadium. An outdoor game being played inside a football arena in front of over 73,000 live fans.

By jiminy, this is just great, ehh. I haven’t been this amped up as a spectator of ice hockey since I watched my LA Kings play the Habs back in the Stanley Cup Finals in the early ‘90’s.

What a pleasure this is. I’m definitely walking with wood today!

The morning begins with a viewing of the Rose Parade on the tube. Here it is about five degrees heading for about fifteen below outside my cabin and the honey and I are watching these marching bands, floats, cowboys and even Indians parade down some street in Southern California where its going to be in the low seventies today. Them folks are spoiled, ehh. So, much to my surprise as the Anaheim float goes by I see the Stanley Cup curtsey of the Ducks. Cool! Seems as though they got special permission to display it without it being stuffed with flowers. Yup, that would-a been a mistake. Ain’t nothin supposed to be in that cup ‘cept beer or champagne. Right?

The Rose Parade broadcast ends and I change over to NBC for the “Winter Classic”. It’s snowing pretty good. The program shows a scene of a youngster doing a little puck-handling and shooting on a frozen pond. You know how I love pond hockey, ehh? I get a lump in my throat from this shit. It’s the best. Mike Milbury gives a bit of nostalgia about the roots of hockey for these guys - skating on ponds and in backyards when they were all just kids starting out in this - the best sport in the world.

Uhhh, I’m just getting too emotional over this. I call Jingles to see if he’s got the game on. He thought it was later this afternoon. Then I call Bronzy. Yup he’s TiVo’ing it for later review. Last I call Pops. He didn’t know about it. I can tell by the sound of his voice that he’s getting pretty damn emotional too as he gets his TV revved up.

Within a minute of the start of the game, with snow coming down hard, the Penguins get the first goal. Crosby pulls something unbelievable crossing the blue line. After that it is just great hit after great hit. Sure the snow causes some problems, They’ve got to run the Zams mid-period, shit we would have got the shovels out, ehh. Expected - no complaints here. I just hope that NBC doesn’t shorten the coverage because of the extra time needed.

The second period gets under way with it now sleeting. This is bringing back so many memories.

I head down to the pond or up to the high school on Saturday mornings. Maybe pack a thermos of something warm. Not so much to drink but to pour into a cup to warm up my hands later. Eventually enough of us show up and a couple of the guys chose up sides. Just a little bit of pick-up. That’s the best hockey in the world.

Maybe that’s what the NHL should do for the All Star game once in a while. I think it would be great if they had an outdoor All Star game like this today where seventy to ninety thousand fans showed up. Sure we still vote for the All Stars but when the guys get out on the ice for warm ups a couple of designated guys pick teams. No east against west, no North America against the rest, no nothing - just a little bit of pick-up. They switch jersey colors as needed and then get the game underway. It would be a blast. No chance to practice together - ya gotta jell out on the ice.

Hey National Hockey League - are you reading this? Are ya listening? NBC? (Versus? Fox Sports? Do you hear me?) Sell it boys. You heard it here first.

Buffalo scores within two minutes of the start of the second period. The sleet continues for most of the period. Again a lot of good hits. The game is fast. These guys are lit.

Like those pale blue Penguin sweaters. Reminds me of the Maine Black Bears, sort-a. They’ll sell a bunch of those replica babies, I’m sure.

Third period starts and there’s no snow, no sleet. Weird - a weatherman is part of the broadcast team. In Buffalo, you need him - the weather can change so fast coming off the lake. Mid period it’s starting to snow again. Predicting wind. The teams will change ends mid-period to be weather fair.

Hey, here’s to all those fans. A hearty bunch of folks they are! They’ve been prepped for this by watching the Bills play regularly.

And then I gotta tell ya that the commercials have been good too. I always appreciate the ones for the USMC - a special place in my heart for those guys (O.B.O. and M.A.J. - that’s for you guys). The Heiny one is good too - just too bad that beer tastes like a skunk’s ass. Give me a good Irish amber, ehh. Oh hell give me two or three cold ones.

So it’s snowing more again as they switch ends in the third. The announcers are getting cold. Wimps!

I wonder if Buffalo’s Miller has that stocking cap glued to his mask? Kinda surprised that the officials have let him wear it. What if it falls off during a skrum in the crease and it obstructs the puck? Probably won’t get a chance to see - but what if, ehh?

This has been some old time hockey. We just need a bench clearing brawl to really make my day. Oh hell that would be icing on the cake. I’m happy enough as it is.

I gotta tell ya, you guys, these two teams, the officials, the live fans of Buffalo, NBC, the NHL and sponsors are all f’n walking with wood today! This is the best yet.

Damn! Pittsburgh penalty with seconds left. That’ll roll over into OT and make for an interesting start four on three.

Intense, this overtime. Finally its sent out of the Pittsburgh end and then back in again. A little jostling right in the crease and the puck is loose - scary. Penalty’s over now and we’ve got a face-off at center ice again. Weird ass buzzer and they change ends in OT. Fair? I guess so. End to end but seems like Buffalo’s got more control, more shots. Snowing steady again. Lovin it!

Fifty seconds left and the Penns get called for icing.

All that and nothing. No score in OT. It goes to a shoot out, my least favored part of modern hockey. No team aspect in this. Get rid of it. (Ding dang if I’m not getting opinionated, ehh.)

Because of the wind the shoot out will be only done in one end. Each goalie switching out between shots.

Buffalo - first shot - goal!
Pittsburgh - first shot - stumped
Buffalo - second shot - save
Pittsburgh - second shot - score!
Buffalo - third shooter - no goal
Pittsburgh - third shooter - goal - five hole - it’s the game winner for Crosby!!

And the fireworks go off!

I hope that they do this again next year. Its some good shit. I sure wish I could say “I was there!”

How ‘bout you? Were you there? Walking with wood?

No comments: